May 30, 2007

Pale or Tan

Pale or Tan
May 30, 2007

Just a random thought that's always been on my mind. Before I came to Australia, I was certainly brought up in a culture where being as pale as possible is considered fair. Tons of beauty creams from major brands alike such as Shiseido, Kanebo, etc (what's with Japanese wanting to look as white as snow?) claim to assist in skin lightening. I can understand if people with darker skin would like to have fairer skin but most Chinese people still aim for the white as snow skin tone. I remember many of my Chinese friends and colleagues would go to great lengths to shield themselves from the sun, even their arms. The sun is like an enemy to them. Can't blame them, adverts in mags, TV, everywhere in Asia seem to promote "pale skin is beautiful".

Well in a way, I am glad in this part of the world, Australia and in most part of Western countries, it is the exact opposite. The browner it is, the more beautiful and healthy looking you are. However, many would go to the extreme to get fake tans!

I am embarassed to say that I am on the pales side, not because I use any skin lightening cream (I don't even use any beauty cream, ack!) but because I haven't been doing much outdoor activities for yonks! Hopefully all that will change very soon!

I used to be very brown during my teenage years and I just went pale when I reached adulthood, I guess leaving the home early morning before the sun rise and getting home late evening after the sun set didn't give me a chance to soak up some sun.

CREDITS

Sadish Bala for this amazing Template to work with

Statcounter

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum