September 21, 2005

A success story

Every now and then I would type in my ex-school mates' names in Google out of curiosity. Two days ago, I found an article from The Star dated Nov 2004 about one of my ex-school mate's new clothing line launch. Let me tell you a little bit about her.

She was known as "Sun Poh" (Godly Woman) in secondary school because she was a disciplined Christian girl. We all looked up to her as a role model. She used to write me notes of encouragement and handed them to me at school, of which I would reply with gratitude. She was also known to dress very modestly (well to be honest, at that time, we thought her dressing was a bit outdated and too old fashioned) and was the super "gwai lui" (good girl/mommy's girl) compared to the rest of us. After finishing secondary school, she worked at a bank while taking up some banking courses.

Somewhere down the road, she became interested in fashion and started selling women's clothing (mainly working attire and quality casuals) privately at friends' homes by word of mouth. Through her contacts in the fashion industry, she landed a supervisory job for a new local fashion line in Sungei Wang. In no time, she was promoted to a Manager. I didn't see her for a few years after that. So one day when I met her at church, man, was I surprised by her change in appearance and dressing - puts us all to shame, haha. From a humble, modest, old fashioned girl to the most up todate, sexy and beautiful model-like lady!

Things continued to get better for her. Last I heard, she was still attending church regularly, has 3 beautiful daughters and a loving husband. She is now the General Manager of the same fashion company which has expanded to 5 outlets in KL (Mid Valley Megamall, Sungei Wang Plaza, 1 Utama Shopping Centre, Sunway Pyramid, Cheras Leisure Mall) and 1 in JB (City Square).

We all thought she would serve full time in the Christian ministry ... but little did we know how things took a surprising turn. Hard to believe she was once nicknamed "Sun Poh"!


Some people have all the luck you say? I think in her case, it was sheer hardwork and determination. Coming from a single parent family (wonderful mother she has) and being the eldest, she sacrificed higher education (she could have easily made it to uni) to ease her mom's burden of supporting the family. How many people would be willing to quit a 9-5 stable bank job to go sell clothes in private homes? She truly deserves every bit of success she has today.

My only hope if I get to meet her again someday, is that she remains her modest and sweet self on the inside ... and perhaps ask one VERY IMPORTANT question ... "Can gimme discount on your clothes or not ah?" hahaha.

There are of course other stories of ex-schoolmates who turned completely nasty and changed from Ms Sweet to Ms Witch but I don't think I will talk about them now.

CREDITS

Sadish Bala for this amazing Template to work with

Statcounter

Blogger Templates by Blog Forum